AFROPUNK

... the other Black experience

Joining the Afro Punk community wasn't a hop on the bandwagon type of thing. My friends didn't ( and still don't) understand the movement. My family thought that I was just doing anything to be defiant. Coupled with the fact that I don't know any other punks from Cleveland. I felt like just walking away from the movement. It wasn't until I found out my mother was a fellow punk , I gave it another chance . Am I the only one who feels like the odd one out in this community sometimes ?

Views: 6543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Be Yourself and Be Free Sacred Black Feminine. AP is about Freedom in your Blackness and Creativity and Spirit! Plenty here that support those same ideals.

Shemaiah Sturdivant said:

Chris Asrk-pa Addanc said:

@Unique~well put.
@Shemaiah~welcome.
  Thank you.
I often feel like the odd one out because of my age. My background and interests are less strange to younger people. However, most Black Gen Xers I have encountered find me weird or think I am trying to be something or someone I'm not. This includes many that are punks in their own right.

In much of my life I am pretty comfortable with who I am, but when it comes to meeting new people and expanding my social circle things can be very lonely. I don't mind talking to younger punks. In fact, it's a joy. However, I do want to hang with those closer to my age, too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Matthew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

HOME
| MY PAGE | MESSAGE BOARD | BANDS | APX | BLOGS | MEDIA | FESTIVAL | ABOUT | MOVIES | STORE | CONTACT
©2013 AFROPUNK | BRANDED BY 7ONE8